Friday, December 05, 2008

Walking in Oaxaca

maguey garden at the "ex-convent".
giant parade guys made of papier mache.
A float dedicated to La Virgen.
breakfast at "la olla".
I am beginning to lose my english, what a concept when i barely speak Spanish. I have been able to make some small paintings in my sketchbook and some postcards which I will be sending out soon. I want to photograph them first. And please save them, I have an idea for a project when I get back to the EU.

I have been walking for miles going to the zocalo, to the mercado, finding out where and how to get things like toothpaste and shampoo and pencils. I found a terrific little artist supply place about two blocks from the house I am staying in. I really like how things are done so far, it is so personal. Every interaction is with a real live person, how odd. No machines telling me what to do. I like that alot.

Today I had a meal at a restaurant called La Olla. The meal was so beautiful I took a picture. I can't recall right now what it was called. A native dish made of eggs, squash blossom and cactus. Yum.

There is a fiesta every day I think. at least in December. Things are revving up for the feast of the Virgin, soon there will be parades and fireworks for three days. At this moment there is a huge market in the park across the street from where I am staying, with a giant band and lots of stalls and more strolling vendors than usual. Very busy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all so very exciting!!!

Anonymous said...

great pics - what kind of fried bugs? you must bring some home! and don't forget some vanilla! you are a brave and lucky woman, sid. can't wait to read more. love, kris